1. Did you Know That… Albert Einstein was made an honorary member of the Plumbers and Steamfitters Union? The German physicist said on one occasion that if he had to live his life all over again, he would be a plumber!
The list of famous people that could have been plumbers is longer than you think: Ozzy Osbourne was a plumber’s apprentice before he started his career as a singer. Michael Caine, the Academy Award-winning actor left the school at the age of 16 and joined the business during a couple of years. Bob Hoskins and the boxer John L. Sullivan are also in the list of possible plumbers, but the one that definitely called more of our attention is the German physicist.
2. How do you feel knowing that you spend a whopping 3 years throughout your life in the toilet? Yes, you are reading correctly. The global average is around three years for the inhabitants of our planet. Here in our country, the day when most people flush their toilet is on Super Bowl day…. Based on estimations, around 90 million people flush their toilets during the Half-Time.
That amount of flushing equals seven minutes of water flowing over the Niagara Falls.
3. Japanese toilets are the most innovative in the world. The Toto product Washlet Zoe is listed in Guinness World Records as the world’s most sophisticated toilet with seven functions. Check the video to see what we are talking about:
4. Being a plumber is one of the most successful businesses in the videogame world: Mario Bros franchise was valued the past 2012 at over $10 billion. The Italian Plumber Fever started on July, 9, 1981 and it’s still hitting.
5. Is it True That The Direction of Your Water Sink Depends On which Hemisphere We Are Placed?? There is an extended belief that the water goes down our pipes in a different way, based on which hemisphere it is located:
In case you are in the Northern hemisphere, water is supposed to rotate clockwise; and if you are in the Southern, the opposite. To explain this fact, people use the Coriolis effect which is applied to any object that moves on another object in rotation, as long as both have mass (obvious). This affects, of course, all the objects on a rotating planet. People also use this effect to explain the direction in which dogs revolve before bedtime…
We have the answer and… NO, it definitely does not depend on which hemisphere it is placed. Coriolis effect can be explained on hurricanes, which are bigger and last much more time than flushing your toilet. This theory is so extended that sometimes appears on TV shows like “The Simpsons” (Bart Vs Australia) or even school books.
6. King George II of Great Britain died falling off a toilet on the 25th of October 1760. The poor king was blind in one eye and could not hear that much, so when his valet found him on the floor, it was too late.
7. Did you know that a study to determine which side of the toilet paper was preferred (over or under) cost around $100,000? There are some writers who have even proposed connections to age, sex, or political philosophy, and survey evidence has shown a correlation with socioeconomic status. Here in the USA, 60–70 percent of respondents prefer over.